Have you ever imagined how wonderful it would feel if people actually looked forward to the technical training initiatives that you offer? Do you consider your learning initiatives a success if trainees can make it through one of your training classes without nodding off? If you are a technical training manager who answered yes to either of these questions, then it is time to consider using a Learning Management System (LMS) for your technical training. With the help of an LMS, you can transform your outdated training program into an engaging online technical training platform that trainees will truly enjoy.
How can you use an LMS for online technical training?
When LMS programs first began to gain popularity in the 2000s, they were frequently used in educational facilities as a means of introducing students to coursework. As LMS technology continues to evolve, training managers in manufacturing, IT, and biotech industries are finding that the ways that they can use an LMS to prepare employees to handle the technical aspects of their jobs. Below are a few of the many industries that are able to use an LMS to facilitate technical training:
- Biomedical engineering: Instructors are using online learning programs to teach biomedical engineers across the globe how to maintain complicated medical systems.
- Education technology: Educators are now using LMS platforms to teach problem-solving applications and experimental design components.
- Product manufacturing: Manufacturers are now turning to online technical training for employees in an effort to minimize interruption to product design and assembly.
- Online IT training: The emergence of nano-degrees and online boot camps illustrate the growing popularity of online technical training.
- Device testing and repair: An LMS can effectively break down complicated device testing and repair into simple manageable steps.
What are the benefits of using an LMS for technical training?
The advantages of using an LMS to provide technical training extend beyond cost savings and convenience. The ability to use a multi-media approach to keep trainees engaged helps to ensure that they absorb complicated material and master installation and maintenance techniques. Online learning is also advantageous because learning can take place at any point in time. Below are five benefits of using an LMS for technical training:
1) Employees can learn anywhere at the same time. Employing an LMS allows technical specialists to acquire new knowledge and skills without disrupting production. This benefit is especially pronounced in manufacturing companies that need engineers, product testers, and biomedical technicians to get up to speed on new products quickly.
2) Trainees who struggle with specific techniques can spend extra time learning those skills. Technical skills are not always easy to master - even for the most technically inclined individuals. With an LMS, trainees can speed through material that they have already mastered and take their time learning content that they find more challenging.
3) Compliance information can easily be integrated into training. Employees of manufacturing firms, IT providers, and medical equipment companies must demonstrate compliance with safety procedures and regulatory requirements. This information can be seamlessly incorporated into an LMS platform and quickly updated to reflect industry changes.
4) Employees can participate in cross-training at any time. Online training allows people to learn new skills as they maintain full-time employment as a technical specialist in a particular area. This is particularly advantageous for employees in the field of IT which includes a host of subspecialties. For instance, IT professionals who specialize in email administration can learn the nuts and bolts of security administration in their spare time.
5) Product updates are easy to incorporate into online training modules. Virtual IT training solutions are growing in popularity in part because of their flexibility. You can update LMS content quickly and easily as new products and features are introduced, helping to ensure that employees remain well-versed on the latest cutting-edge techniques.
Are there any limitations to using an LMS for technical training?
As outlined above, there are many benefits to using an LMS to facilitate technical training. However, no technical training solution is without limitations. Before you implement a virtual IT training solution or another online technical training program, make sure that you are aware of the following limitations:
- Hands-on skills are often difficult to simulate: A virtual IT training solution lacks the advantage of having a live instructor present to provide a face to face demonstration. Trainees are unable to engage in productive dialogue with peers and instructors the same way that they would be able to during live demonstrations.
- Reduced social interaction: Unlike traditional training courses that often take place in a classroom-type environment, online learning platforms typically do not promote interaction with colleagues. As a result, communication skills for trainees may remain limited when an LMS is used.
- Limited structure: A relative absence of structure can pose problems for trainees who might be technically inclined but suffer from low levels of motivation. Inefficient trainees might not be prompted to thrive the same way that they would under the guidance of a live instructor.
The Bottom Line
Investing in an LMS for technical training is a growing trend across a wide range of industries. In addition to a flexible design, the LMS is easily adaptable, making it a great training platform for rapidly evolving technical fields such as biomedical engineering, IT, and product manufacturing. Contact the online learning experts at Knowledge Anywhere to learn more about the many ways that an LMS can help your organization provide first-rate technical training that will engage your employees. We look forward to helping you optimize your online technical training program!
Learn how you put education at the center of your organization with these great articles and resources.