Whenever you hire new employees, it’s important that you get them up to speed as quickly as possible, without sacrificing the quality of their learning. You also want to make a good impression on these new employees, and so forcing them to sit in a conference room for several hours a day, while someone lectures to them, is probably not ideal.
With eLearning, you allow your employees to work through interactive lessons at their own pace. It’s an incredibly effective way to pass along information to your workforce, and makes the training process easier for the heads of departments, as they don’t have to spend their time training each new group of employees.
But putting together an eLearning course takes time and money. You’re not going to find a course out there already made that perfectly suits your company and its needs. One of the ways to make assembling an eLearning course cheaper is by using some free eLearning tools. Using these tools, in conjunction with a Learning Management System, will transform the way you train your employees, and hopefully, save you some money in the long run. Here are a few free eLearning resources to get you started:
Free Video Sources
- VideoPad Video Editor - First up, we have a piece of software that is perfect for people who need some basic video editing tools. While this software package won’t blow you away with its advanced features, it’s perfect for beginners who just need to do some simple editing.
- Pexels Videos - If you need some stock footage to use within your video, then start your search with Pexels. Pexels provides thousands of free stock videos, that you can easily download and add to your video.
- OBS Studio - OBS, or Open Broadcaster Software, is a tool that allows you to record your computer screen. This is particularly handy if you want to demonstrate how company software works, or how certain procedures should be handled. Rather than typing out step-by-step instructions, you could simply show your new employees an example of how it’s done.
Free Image Sources
- Pexels Images - Just like with video, Pexels offers free stock images. Your eLearning courses will be a little boring if they are all text, so it’s good to break them up with some images. Stock images are a great way to find generic images, and if you don’t want to pay for them, Pexels has a wide variety to choose from.
- GIMP - For photo editing, consider trying GIMP. GIMP is essentially the free version of Adobe’s Photoshop. While it may take a little while to learn, once you get the hang of it, you’ll find that you have a powerful tool at your disposal, all for free.
- Paint.NET - If you want something a little simpler than GIMP, we recommend Paint.NET. This free tool is perfect when you just need to do some basic editing and is easier to learn compared with GIMP.
- FontSpace - When you want to change up your eLearning course a bit more, you might consider using a new font. Rather than buying a new font that you’ll only use this once, you can find plenty of free fonts on a site like FontSpace. There are currently over 30,000 fonts available on this site, so you have a nice selection to choose from.
- Font Freak - Another place to find free fonts is Font Freak. While the selection is not as large as FontSpace, there are over 9,000 free fonts on this site, so you should be able to find something that you like.
Slack Apps for eLearning
- QuickQuiz Slack App - QuickQuiz allows you to build and deploy quizzes to your team via Slack. These quizzes can be used to reinforce and confirm knowledge on product, policies, technology, company direction, market trends, etc.
Free Project Management and Collaboration Resources
Putting together an eLearning course isn’t simple, and you’ll likely need a team of people to help you accomplish it. To get all of these people on the same page, and to help them communicate, you’ll want some decent project management software. Luckily, there are a few free options for this as well.
- Bitrix24 - First up, we have Bitrix24. This project management system is entirely free to use unless you want to upgrade your storage past 5GB, in which case there is a small fee. With Bitrix24 you can plan out employee workloads, communicate in real-time, share documents, and even track time. It’s one of the more powerful project management tools out there, and you don’t even have to pay for it.
- Freedcamp - Our second project management tools, Freedcamp is right up there with Bitrix24. With Freedcamp, you get unlimited users, projects, and storage. It comes with an iOS app if your company uses Apple products, and an optimized mobile website if not. With Freedcamp you’ll also get templates, time tracking, and invoicing, making it a very comprehensive tool.
- Headjack.io - If you want to take your courses to the next level, and introduce Virtual Reality, there are apps that can help you out. We recommend starting with Headjack, which will allow you to create VR video apps in a matter of minutes, and then you can incorporate these into your eLearning course.
- InstaVR - Another VR tool, InstaVR is very similar to Headjack. InstaVR is a popular tool, used by companies such as Toyota, Expedia, Redbull and CBS. The tool is free to try, but if you want more of the advanced features, you’ll have to pay for it.
Putting It All Together
- SCORMify - When you need to put it all together, a great tool to help you out is SCORMify. SCORMify makes it easy to quickly turn documents and videos into SCORM compliant courses. With responsive design and advanced style options, you can ensure your course looks exactly like you want it to, and appears great on a wide range of devices. Once you’re done, you can easily upload it to any Learning Management System.
Make the Most of the Tools Available to You
Just because you are assembling an eLearning course for your company, doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money. From free eLearning authoring to free stock images and project management software, there are plenty of great tools that you don’t need to pay for.
Even though of the above tools are a great way to make assembling your eLearning course easier, you still need a tool to put them all together. For that, you want a Learning Management System. With our corporate training system, you can easily deliver eLearning courses online, and the free tools mentioned above will help to keep down the total costs of the project.
To learn more about how our Learning Management System can help you, please feel free to contact us.
In addition to reading this article, a great resource to help you recognize attributes in an LMS that matter most to your organization and simplifying the research and comparison process is the FREE LMS Evaluation Checklist. It provides a helpful visual grid with a criteria rating system to help you easily narrow down your LMS provider list.
Learn how you put education at the center of your organization with these great articles and resources.