Training new employees is one of the most important tasks for any business. No matter what industry you’re in, it’s essential for new hires to get acclimated to your business and learn a variety of facts about the company and the tasks and protocols needed for performing their jobs. Using the latest technology for new hire training helps make this process more efficient. eLearning has many valuable functions in today’s workplace, especially when it comes to employee training. Using online employee training software can make training faster, more engaging and allow trainees to absorb more information. Let’s look at some of the ways that online eLearning can help you train your employees more effectively.
How eLearning Helps With New Hire Training
Online employee training and development is useful for many areas of training, including:
- Orientation - An online new employee orientation is a simple way to introduce new hires to your company. You can cover all of the essential points such as your company’s history, mission statement, ethical standards, benefits, and more in a systematic and interactive way with online learning.
- Information That’s Essential for Your Industry - When you have to deliver standardized information that’s mandatory for an industry, such as health and safety standards or rules of conduct, eLearning is an efficient way to do it.
- Compliance training - When you have to deliver standardized information that’s mandatory for an industry, such as compliance training for the financial industry, eLearning is an efficient way to do it. With this type of training program, employees can absorb crucial information quickly and, if necessary, be tested on it.
- Safety standards - If employees need to learn important safety information before starting their jobs, eLearning ensures that everyone gets the training they need.
- Customer interaction - For businesses in industries such as retail and hospitality, where it’s essential for employees to make a positive impression on customers, an online program can convey your company’s standards and expectations on how to interact with customers.
- Complex or technical training - One of the benefits of eLearning is that people can go through it at their own pace. If something isn’t clear, employees can view it again, which is something they can’t do in a live presentation. That’s why online learning is a good choice for challenging material.
These are just some of the ways to make employee training more efficient and effective with eLearning. The specific approach is easily tailored to different businesses and industries.
Guidelines for Setting Up a Successful Online Training Program
If you want to get the most out of online new employee training, keep the following tips in mind:
- Make the training interactive. Interactivity is one of the main benefits of eLearning. Yet, if not used correctly, online training is little more than reading content on a screen. Make presentations interactive by providing feedback and allowing employees to comment, ask questions, and test their knowledge. An interactive online video is an example of an effective approach that keeps learners engaged.
- Break training down into manageable modules. As attention spans shrink, it’s essential to avoid overloading learners with long presentations. Breaking the material down into smaller units makes it easier for people to absorb it.
- Use gamification to make learning more interesting. By making training material more game-like, you can increase engagement and interest. Let trainees earn points or rewards as they absorb information and answer questions correctly.
- Make sure the training is realistic. If the training is too theoretical, it will be hard for employees to apply it when they start their jobs. Use real-world scenarios so that people can relate to the information. For example, if the training is for customer service, give examples of interactions between customers and employees.
- Allow for personalization. The most sophisticated eLearning systems give learners the chance to personalize training. They can proceed at a pace which they’re most comfortable. If employees are already familiar with certain topics, they can skip these or spend less time on them. Online employee training software can be customized to meet the needs of different backgrounds and learning styles.
The Benefits of a Blended Training Approach
While online new employee training has great potential to help new hires absorb crucial information, eLearning isn’t the best approach for all types of learning. There will always be a place for face-to-face learning as well. You can get the best of both worlds by incorporating a blended approach to training new employees. eLearning and face-to-face are each appropriate for different types of learning scenarios. Online employee training and development is useful for delivering information in an efficient and interactive manner. At the same time, it’s also important to personalize learning. Live training, either one-on-one or in groups, give new hires a chance to ask questions and get to know one another.
You also have to consider the fact that people have different learning styles. Some employees will find eLearning more effective while others may find it easier to absorb information face-to-face. That’s why a certain amount of redundancy ensures that people get training in the format most suitable for their mode of learning. The best kind of blended training is seamless rather than strictly compartmentalized. For example, an eLearning session can be followed by a live discussion of the content. People today are comfortable going back and forth between digital devices and live interactions with the world around them. You can do the same with your training, making eLearning one component of the training that’s reinforced by in-person interactions.
Upgrade and Modernize Employee Training With eLearning
eLearning, especially when it’s part of a blended learning approach, can greatly increase the effectiveness of new employee training. It’s useful for a variety of purposes across many industries. Online learning gives new hires a chance to absorb information at their own pace and to receive rapid feedback on their progress. This gives your business a way to take advantage of the latest technology to improve the effectiveness of your employee training. If you’re interested in learning more about our eLearning suite, feel free to contact us today.
Learn how you put education at the center of your organization with these great articles and resources.